Welcome to Vote 4 York Black Heritage Stamp!

In February, my teacher asked students to write about any Lewis and Clark Expedition subject. I chose York, William Clark’s enslaved man servant, who was an integral part of the expedition. During my research for the report, I became more intrigued by York and I decided to take my school project to the next level. So much is known about Lewis and Clark and I felt that York’s contribution to the expedition has been undervalued and marginalized. Therefore I wrote the USPS Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee and asked them to consider honoring York with a Black Heritage Stamp. My proposal to honor York is “under consideration” according to a recent letter from the USPS Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee.

Friday, December 2, 2011

York Stamp Campaign Thanks EOYDC Executive Director Regina G. Jackson

Hi everyone,

Last year I traveled to the East Oakland Youth Development Center (EOYDC) to volunteer for during my spring break. I made new friends and helped clean up the streets of Oakland, CA!

EOYDC is a community-based nonprofit agency and is dedicated to developing children and youth into healthy, self-supporting and aware citizens and adults. Since 1978 the Center has free comprehensive programs; emotional, physical, intellectual, and economic needs. I wanted to thank the Executive Director, Regina G. Jackson for inviting me and sending the USPS many many YORK stamp support letters.

This year I plan to return back to EOYDC and volunteer. To learn more about the national impact of EOYDC, please visit their website @ http://www.eoydc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment